Music & arts teacher
at Harlem Children's Zone
posted on January 31, 2020
$20 - 25 / Hour
2-3 years minimum
35 E 125th St, New York, NY 10035, USA
Harlem Children's Zone is looking for a Music & arts teacher in 35 E 125th St, New York, NY 10035, USA who can work part time.
The successful candidate will have at least 2-3 years of relevant work experience.
Harlem Children's Zone is offering between $20 USD and $25 USD for this position.
The application includes screening questions.
We are seeking an Arts Specialist to support our arts curriculum such as Dance, Music, Art, Theater, Photography, and etc to work directly with students in an after-school setting, leading small groups. Students participate in weekly discussions and activities around subjects such as lifetime decision making, identifying values, communication and critical thinking, resume building and interview techniques, social etiquette, conflict resolution, and community service, among others.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Prepare and develop age, and skill appropriate curriculum, lesson plans, activities, and special projects that fuse the arts and academic competencies to be reviewed by supervisors before being taught
• Plan and facilitate a project-based unit
• Work with program participants to develop their artistic, educational and leadership potential
• Engage youth in the following areas through the arts: critical thinking; evaluation; risk-taking; rehearsals; hands-on project based learning; documentation of work; community-building and activism
• Coordinate subject related trips, guest speakers, special events, student exhibitions, and college trips
• Attend weekly staff meetings
• Share a knowledge of the history and current state of African, African-American and Latino issues and be able to interpret that into diverse learning opportunities
• Ability to communicate the progress of students and share insights discovered to team members on a regular basis
• Act as a role model for K-12 students
• Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge Requirements
• A commitment to Youth Development and the mission and programs of HCZ
• Conservatory training and/or university-level education and practical experience in the content area is preferred (college students currently pursuing degree-level work are also encouraged to apply)
• Must have at least 2 years experience
• Passion and experience with arts education,